Wednesday, April 18, 2007

A new start with a new blog




I started a blog last year when I was kind of in a funk. I've decided to delete that blog and make this a place where I can share some good news and good stories that I have. When I last blogged, I was feeling a bit low. I was missing my beagle Connor who has been gone now for almost 4 years. I'd been in a funk, bc my loving husband hadn't been ready for a new dog.

Enter Reilly. Last June, we picked up this sweet looking dog at the local rescue day at PetSmart. Poor thing looked so sad in his crate - covered in Mange and very dejected. With much persuasion, Doug ( DH) let me take him home for a week's trial. Like he was ever going back to the rescue. Reilly was thin, had mange, and had been living in a cage at the rescue for at least 5 months. We took him home, fattened him up, got him healthy and now he is a loving member of our family. My husband, got over his trepidation at having a new animal in the house and he just adores him.

Tonight, we graduated from Dog School - basic obediance class. I was worried when we started the class, the teacher and I didn't mesh when it came to our training methods. But thanks to some very good friends, we stuck with it and used the class as a buffet. We took what we needed and left what we didn't like.

So now it's on to Intermediate, with a goal to eventually do agility.

Our lives have changed a lot since Reilly came into our lives, and all for the better. Don't get me wrong, I still miss Connor each and every day. But Reilly has filled the void and captured our hearts in his own way, not replacing Connor, but just taking over another piece of our lives and hearts.

10 comments:

  1. Steph -- looking forward to more stories about Reilly -- three cheers from the Labbies of Grass Run for his graduation from his first class! I'm betting he'll be a great agility dog.
    Elizabeth

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a happy story. I'm so glad that you all have each other!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Elizabeth! 2 more classes then we are on to Agility!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations, Reilly and Steph. Woo hoo on the graduation! Here are cheers for many more happy stories -- and we're looking forward to reading them.
    --Nancy & Buddy-D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! We're looking forward to more stories from your little corner of the world -
    Peg, Hunter and Piper

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that picture, Steph! Great idea to blog your happy news. Congrats on the graduate. :)
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks guys for reading the blog!!! I appreciate it and I will try to keep it fun and interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks guys for reading the blog!!! I appreciate it and I will try to keep it fun and interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your last line is exactly how I would describe having children. The 2nd one never is more important than the first, but just different. You would have plenty of love in your heart for many dogs if you were open to it.

    So, I can't wait to continue reading more stories.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mr. Reilly, you are ONE handsome boy!! I am glad he has filled your hearts, Steph. I can see why. :)

    Natalie

    ReplyDelete